Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Free Appropriation Writer? Really?

Well, The New York Times just ran an article about a young German woman who wrote a book by appropriating the work of other people. The 17-year-old writer said it was "mixing, not plagiarism."


Louis Menand "suggested that, as with any creative movement, if the results are compelling and profound enough, even rigid conventions come around to making what seemed like a sin into a virtue." I wonder how long it would take for society to accept this thinking because this concept fits right into my earlier post about how people are worried about posting their writings online and putting them out into cyberspace. Interesting concept, this 'free appropriation writer.' Hmmm....

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this article. I am a person who's been concerned about the social and professional ramifiactions of my blog postings, but now I have to wonder whether someone is going to use "free appropriation" to profit from my writing before I do! :)

    A lot of the issues brought up by the article are already being discussed in the music industry. I view sampling as the musical equivalent of "free appropriation." The legal question is, though, at what point do you owe the original author credit? Is it a percentage of the original work? Should the credit be written or verbal? Are royalties owed to the original artist?

    ReplyDelete