Saturday, March 13, 2010

Narrative Theory?

I continue to read the Queer Theory Chapter in Tyson, but it really isn't ONLY about Queer Theory. Lesbian and Gay Criticism are related, but different from Queer Theory, and each other. It is all so fascinating, but I find I have to re-read sections to clarify the similarities and differences among these critical theories.

To thoroughly complicate things, I have stumbled upon Narrative Theory which is credited to Walter Fisher and defined in Wikipedia as follows:

"Fisher's narrative theory is based on the concept that people are essentially storytellers. Storytelling is one of the oldest and most universal forms of communication and so individuals approach their social world in a narrative mode and make decisions and act within this narrative framework" (Fisher 1984).

Further discussion:

"Narrative theory clashed with several pre-existing beliefs as to the nature of human beings and how they communicate and act. Fisher describes this contrast by identifying the tenets of what he sees as two universal paradigms: the rational world paradigm, and the narrative paradigm.

Rational World Paradigm:

*People are essentially rational

*People make decisions based on arguments.

*The communicative situation determines the course of our argument.

*Rationality is determined by how much we know and how well we argue.

*The world is a set of logical puzzles that we can solve through rational analysis.

Narrative Paradigm:

*People are essentially storytellers.

*People make decisions based on good reasons.

*History, biography, culture, and character determine what we consider good reasons.

*Narrative rationality is determined by the coherence and fidelity of our stories.

*The world is a set of stories from which we choose, and constantly re-create, our lives."

(Source: From Fisher, 1987)

I say that it complicates matters because I may want to use this in combination with 'coming out' stories since it is a perfect avenue for using writing with the LGBTQ population. This was a suggestion made by a wonderful new friend. He happens to be a doc student in Kent's English Department and an out gay man. He's the one who suggested I look into this idea and said he thought it might be quite innovative.

I'm in the process of reading about this concept and what it might mean for me in terms of my research. I also know a professional storyteller who just received his PhD, so I plan to see what he knows about this theory. I think my blog title is reflecting this journey in an uncanny way!

2 comments:

  1. Plus, I would encourage you to pursue narrative inquiry, Karen, because it makes for such great reading (when it's well done!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your Wiki presentation on Gay, Lesbian, and Queer Critical Theory, since this is an area in which I do not have a strong foundation. Like many others, I did not know the specific differences between gay/lesbian and queer theory. Now I can understand how queer theory can be considered an umbrella term over the other two terms.

    I do feel this is an important issue to focus our attention on as teachers of literacy. Many students who are lesbian, gay, or transgendered have not had the support of their peers or teachers, or had the opportunity to engage with reading materials at school that would appeal to their interests or sexual orientation. Hopefully, with increased knowledge and education, this will change in the future.

    ReplyDelete