Saturday, February 27, 2010

Found My Focus

I can't describe the feeling I have now that I know what I want to research. I've had several ideas over the past 7 months since starting on this journey, but nothing about which I truly felt passionate. Feeling compelled to support acceptance of all people, I especially gravitate toward the LGBTQ population for many reasons. Having a gay nephew gives me a personal reason.

My love of writing led me to wonder how writing (in all of its forms) may be of help to this population. I'm thinking along the lines of writing as therapy, and maybe even using social networking, to build community to combat feelings of isolation and also to promote acceptance outside of this population. I've been a 'whirling dervish' since deciding upon this path of inquiry. I've become the teacher-advisor for our high school's Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA), met with a professor, and made contact with several people in positions of authority on working with LGBTQ teens/young adults. AND I've READ, and READ, and READ.

The Handbook of Research on Writing had two chapters that touched on the subject and I decided to read those, even though they were not specifically assigned. In Chapter 24: Teaching of Writing and Diversity, the authors ask "should students be encouraged to cultivate a voice in writing that may be unacceptable to the academy?" (p. 387). Often, LGBTQ students don't feel safe or comfortable writing what they truly want to write, thinking they won't be understood or accepted.

Chapter 30: Writing as Physical and Emotional Healing, was very interesting and gave me concrete ideas for conducting research. I was especially intrigued to learn that recent findings have "energized a research program among psychologists and medical scientists, but writing researchers have yet to join this community" (p.485). This chapter discusses research using short, brief writing activities and journaling over time to measure how writing can help various populations. Not only did they see improvements with physical ailments, but expressive writing was found to be effective for people feeling socially isolated (p.496). This gives me great hope that I can make inroads as a writing researcher, but that there is basic groundwork for me to build upon.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on this step forward in your journey, Kat!! =) I can feel the passion; it oozes out in your words. LGBTQ issues is an underrepresented area, and I full-heartedly applaud and support you in your quest forward. What age group would you like to work with? I know you're interested in writing but the National Art Education Association (NAEA) sponsors 2 fantastic journals, which might at times discuss writing too. Check them out: Journal of LGBT Youth and Journal of Gay & Lesbian Issues in Education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the summary of Chapter 30. I've always felt that writing is therapeutic, and the use of writing in a psychological setting is another form of writing to learn.

    When I taught college composition, I always made assignments open enough to allow for the emotional healing you describe. I found this was especially helpful for my community college students who came to my classroom following a job loss, divorce, or other life-altering event. I would never force a student to write a sensitive personal disclosure, but I feel the ones who did got more out of my class than a few grammar rules and brainstorming strategies.

    ReplyDelete