Monday, July 20, 2009

New Literacies?

So, here I am at Kent State learning about New Literacies. The first question posed is about what I want to get out of this class. That's a good question. What do I hope to learn?

When I entered this classroom, I was hoping to improve my skills in certain technological areas and return to my classroom with fresh ideas that will engage the students even more. I want to use technology more than I do, especially blogging and video/audio. That's actually funny because I'm one of the oldest teachers in the building, yet I do more to change my teaching year to year than most. I have one particular multi-media project that the kids love, but I want to infuse my classroom with these new literacies, rather than doing disjointed 'projects.'

After this morning's discussion, I realize that all 'New Literacies' are not necessarily technology based. I already have a myriad of ideas and hope I can figure out a way to create a New Literacies classroom. I'm not quite sure what that will look like, yet, but am encouraged that it is actually possible. I hope my last two years in the classroom will be the best ones yet!

1 comment:

  1. As you said on my blog, the fact that we're here shows that we're always looking for new and more effective ways to help our students learn.

    Like you, I am encouraged to find out how great is the variety of methods of increasing the literacies we use with our students.

    ReplyDelete