Sunday, April 18, 2010

Writing and Social Change

This chapter in the Bazerman text was interesting as it relates to conversations I hear with increasing frequency in the teachers' lounge.
S0 many teachers keep complaining about how texting is leading to the downfall of spelling, yet they really don't do anything to address it.

Since 'Writing constitutes and reflects social practices' (Faber, 2008, p. 269), and language/writing has changed over time, it only makes sense that we will see change in our lifetime. Instead of complaining about how it's ruining spelling instruction/skills, I would propose to educate children as to the proper times and places to use formal vs. informal spelling. We do it when we teach the language differences between Personal and Business letters, so why not text-speak?

Faber discusses how people must understand and 'strategically utilize' the genre in order to make changes to it (p. 274). This is the perfect venue in which to use something in which students are interested to help them understand the parameters of usage and be able to use both systems appropriately because it's not going away.

1 comment:

  1. I have been whining about this very same problem so your post is very timely for me. As my 8th graders begin blogging this week, I'll have the perfect opportunity to address the issue of matching their language to their audience and purpose. Your post is just the nudge I needed to wrap my head around the problem. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete