Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Identity and Writing

"Research on identity has largely neglected the domain of sexual identity, and efforts to develop gay-friendly pedagogies have not yet engaged with poststructuralism" (Nelson, 1999, p.1). Fascinating. How can research on identity exclude such an important aspect of oneself? Is it even possible to separate your sexual identity from your identity as a whole? This statement has me furious. I don't even understand how this is possible.


The earlier quote was actually from a research article on the impact of sexual identity on ESL students. Reading further, the following quote left me speechless, "some colleagues are puzzled, even perturbed, by the idea that lesbian or gay identities could have any relevance to language learning. To them, gay-friendly teaching is at best of marginal importance, of interest only to a small minority of learners and teachers (gay ones), and at worst invasive, inserting a discourse of (homo)sex into a field in which that discourse is neither relevant nor appropriate" (Nelson, 1999, p. 3).


The article then goes on to explain how sexual identity is indeed an important consideration for English Language Learners (and everyone else, for that matter), citing specific vocabulary and experiences. I found this article while researching my topic and realized I have new avenues to explore in combination with writing as healing for LGBTQ youth.


Read the article HERE

3 comments:

  1. Karen, after skimming through the article I have a couple of thoughts. First, identities are constructed culturally and many ESL students are already marginalized. The "deficit theory" persists and pegs them as less capable due to a language barrier. They become doubly marginalized if they orient themselves with a "non-mainstreamed" sexuality. I see that the goal is inclusion, analysis, openness, and honesty. Secondly, I am intrigued by Foucault's perspective of "not what truth is but how effects of truth are produced." Can we, as educators, affect the effects of truth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting very heady here! Wow :-) I just find the whole concept of trying to ignore sexual identity as being an integral part of the complete person. Actually, there is a lot of research being done in this area with respect to LGBTQ students, especially in the area of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat you are so right, and the worst thing is, I never even noticed the omission before. We read SO much about taking into consideration the identity and background of the students, with many characteristics listed under those terms, but sexual identity is NEVER one of them. I'm thinking about all the things I've read about bringing adolescents' lives into the classroom, but I dont recall seeing anything on encompassing their sexual identity. Maybe it's out there and I just never stumbled across it?

    Fascinating stuff!

    ReplyDelete