Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New Focus?

The more I think about what I want to research, the more I am intrigued by the idea of writing in connection with LGBT issues. I am quite passionate about working with this student population because I think it is something with which schools continue to struggle. I wonder how teacher bias affects these students, either outright or in subtle ways and how writing can be of help.

I'm leaning toward looking at how writing assignments can be used to help students express their feelings and help others understand what they're going through. I'm thinking about looking at the use of a writing community idea (online/global connection?) that might help them find support. I'm anxious to take a hard look at what is currently being studied and how I can formulate a related research topic. Maybe I'm way off here, but it's something I've been thinking about for a long time. Having a gay nephew has brought me close to the situation and I think this is an important issue for schools today.

No comments:

Post a Comment