Saturday, September 19, 2009

My Focus Keeps Changing

Not only does my life keep taking new twists and turns, but so does the focus of my inquiry. I thought I was going to study New Literacies, but that turned into Collaborative Classrooms. Now I've discovered that it's student engagement and empowerment that will affect learning, regardless of the medium used. At least, that's what I'm seeing in my classroom thus far. My students are excited about using the Wiki as the forum for their research, but they are MOST excited about making their handmade Zines.
Who knew?

1 comment:

  1. I think you are right on with these ideas.

    After thinking about and working on my OCTELA presentation proposal, these are the same thoughts I was having, though they were not as fully formed or worded so succinctly.

    I definitely agree that the "new" way (or not fully recognized way) to learn and be literate is to combine different subject areas but also to follow one's muse ... have fun ... be entertained ... even socialize.

    As adult professionals, we might refer to these ideas as our "passion" and "networking."

    Think about how we surf the internet, following our interests ... one topic (or "subject") melding into the next.

    Look at the changing format of books like Pick Me Up ( http://www.amazon.com/Pick-Me-Up-Philip-Wilkinson/dp/0756655331/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254402128&sr=8-1 ) which models this type of self-discovery and melding topics.

    The book and idea from your post from September 27 is the perfect follow up to these thoughts. As soon as the libraries order and process the book, I will request it!

    ReplyDelete