Monday, June 22, 2009

Back to school at 50?

Sometimes I wonder what I'm thinking. I have two more years and then I can retire from public school education. Someone much wiser than I once said that you shouldn't retire 'from' something, but rather 'to' something. That was really my plan all along; I just didn't think it would be going back to school for a Ph.D.

My husband was a little surprised, not because of the academic pursuits, but because all I've talked about forever was how excited I was to be nearing the time when I could write full-time. You see, I'm an aspiring novelist and have been dabbling for many years with the excuse that I never had the time to do it seriously.

I've considered earning my Ph.D. for about 25 years now, but the time was just never right. Raising  two marvelous kids and working full-time, while trying to maintain several hobbies, seemed to be enough. And it was, until now.

So, the title of this blog came from my strange life path, one that has me heading back to school at 50 years old and almost retired. Wish me luck, because I still have to take the GRE. Please keep in mind that I haven't taken a math class since 1976. This should be interesting!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome, Karen! Look forward to working with you! Don't worry about the GRE!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! I love reading your blog! I think you should continue to write about "random" things as well as our New Literacies topics. You sound like a very dedicated and discplined teacher, mother and wife. Good luck with everything you do and keep me posted on that novel...:)

    ReplyDelete